Brauhaus Restaurant & Pub


It's a boring Friday afternoon, and I'm already thinking of what to have for dinner. I suddenly have a craving for German food. A German pork knuckle and beer make the best companion for one to unwind at the end of a work week. I recall that my uncle recommended a restaurant at United Square that serves nice pork knuckle. So I've decided to try out the Brauhaus Restaurant & Pub at United Square, Novena. I quickly SMS my wife and my mum to arranage for a dinner at Brauhaus.

It's the World Cup season, and Brauhaus has live telecast of the World Cup matches. We were lucky enough to get a seat without making any reservations. The atmosphere was cosy with soft lighting. Waitress were friendly and has good rapport with customers. It seems like majority of the customers were regulars.

The drinks menu (or rather beer menu) is too much for me to comprehend. Therefore, I've asked the waitress to  recommned a clear beer that goes well with the Pork Knuckle that we'll be ordering. I was recommeded a German beer, "Franziskaner Kristallklar". It tasted like Erdinger with a zest of lemon. Maybe all German beer taste the same. My wife tried their fruit beer, "Floris Passion". This passion fruit beer is great, something that it's difficult to find in supermarkets. My mum took a non-alcoholic Cranberry juice. For the main course, we've ordered a Ostrich Fillet Steak, a Pork Knuckle (Small) and a Ribs of Lamb (which wasn't served to me due to a miscommunication between the waitress and the kitchen). The kitchen ran out of lamb and did not inform the waitress. When we've requested the waitress to check on our order after a long wait, she came back explaining the situation and kept apologising, "Sorry, it's our fault." (at least three times). Later, she came back with three slices of Oreo Chesscake (FOC), which a nice gesture in apologising to the customers. 



The Ostrich Fillet Steak is extremely tender. In fact, too tender for me. You just don't get to chew on the meat like how you will for a medium-rare steak. To be fair, the ostrich fillet steak is above average except for the tenderness of the meat. The Pork Knuckle is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Please do not attempt to finish a small pork knuckle all by yourself. Although I enjoy the pork knuckle with my glass of beer, but this is not the best I've tasted. I could still recall the pork knuckle I've tasted few years back at Paulaner Brauhaus. It's much better than what I've just ate.

The restaurant also serves Kangaroo and Crocrodile meat, which we did not try. Maybe we'll try them on our next visit.

My Verdict:
Atmosphere : 8/10 (Cosy, with soft lighting and live music) 
Service : 8/10 (Waitress were attentive & has a close rapport with customers)
Food : 7/10 (Generally, above average)
Price : 5/10 (Approx. S$40/pax)

Brauhaus Restaurant & Pub
101 Thomson Road
B1-13/14 United Square
Tel : 6250 3116
0 Responses