The Ultimate Crab Buffet @ Ellenborough Market Cafe, Merchant Court

The Ulitmate Crab Buffet is back for the 3rd year. Having missed two seasons, I'll definitely not want to miss this year's crab buffet. I had the opportunity to enjoy this sumptuous dinner with my family on Tuesday night. Though I called up on Sunday to make a reservation, I could only get seats near the 2nd line buffet (not the buffet line where the carbs are). But walking to the main buffet line isn't too far, so it's fine with us. 

At 7pm sharp, my wife and I had already started exploring the main buffet line. We started off with some Beer Stock Boiled Crab (Assorted) and Chilli Crab. The chilli crabs were not spicy at all. It's sweet and the gravy goes well with the Fried Buns. But I personally prefer spicy food. Therefore, I'm not particularly attracted by the chilli crab. However, the Beer Stock Boiled Crab is worth mentioning, especially the Snow Crab and the Dungeness Crab. The natural sweetness of these crab meat is just perfect. Their meat were soild (and stringy) as well. If you've ever ate string cheese, you'll know what I meant by "stringy". I think about 70% of the crabs I ate are the snow crabs and dungeness crabs. Some other crabs & food that I've tried include:

Nonya Sambal Crab - Average, slighty sour
Black Pepper Crab -  Average, tasted sweet rather than spicy
Cold Crab -  Below average, the texture of the flower crab meat that I took were not solid
Sliper Lobster - Average, nothing really special
Fresh Oyster - Great, Fresh and juicy
Durain Pengat - Great, but the standard has fallen since my last visit
Bubur Hitam - Average, like the normal ones you can get in the foodcourt
Assorted Desserts/Cakes - Average, could not recal what I've ate.

I must apologise for the shortage of photos in this blog. My fingers were just too busy with the crabs and could not multi-task to press on the shutter. There photos shown here were taken before I started to lay my fingers on the crabs.

During my visit, I did not get a chance to try the Soft Shell Crab with Chutney Cream and the Salted Egg Flower Crab, as mentioned on the official website. I could not find them in the buffet line. You might probably find them during your visit.


Other than the food, the service were good as well. My plates (full of shells) gets cleared very quickly. the waiters were very responsive as well. 

If you are a crab lover and have yet to try "The Ultimate Crab Buffet", you got to be quick. The buffet ends on 27 Jun 2010. If you miss this season, you'll have to wait for the next crab buffet (probably a year later), and might be paying more as well. For your information, last year's crab buffet dniner is only priced at S$46++ (source: AromaCookery).

Other reviews of the Ultimate Crab Buffet can be found here:
AromaCookery
Gastronomic Ruminations
The Hungry Cow

My Verdict:
Atmosphere : 8/10 (Cosy)
Service : 8/10 (My plates get cleared very quickly)
Food : 8/10 (Nice Snow & Dungness Crab & Durian Penyat)
Price : 5/10 (Approx. S$50/pax after HSBC promo)

The Ultimate Crab Buffet
04 Jun 2010 - 27 Jun 2010
Lunch: $45++ per adult; $22.50++per child
Dinner: $52++ per adult; $26++per child
(HSBC Promo: 1 dines for free, for every 3 paying adult diners)

Ellenborough Market Cafe
SwissĂ´tel Merchant Court
20 Merchant Road
Singapore 058281
Reservation : 62391848
0 Responses